Sunchokes are also known as Jerusalem artichokes or topinambour. The plant is a species of sunflower native to eastern North America and quite easy to grow. Sunchokes are great raw in salads, make a delicious soup as this one or a delicious gratin.
- 1 lemon (to keep veggies from browning while cutting them)
- 2 pounds sunchokes (Jerusalem artichoke), peeled & chopped
- 1 celery root, peeled and chopped
- 2 small onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
- half bottle dry white wine
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1 cup soy cream
- nutmeg (optional but nice)
- Saute the onions and garlic in oil in a soup pot.
- Add the root veggies and thyme, then add the vegetable bouillon.
- Simmer until root veggies are soft.
- Puree to a smooth consistency and use the wine and soy cream to thin the soup as you puree it.
- Add the nutmeg, and season with salt and white pepper as desired.
- We garnished the soup with pumpkin and sunflower seeds.