Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
This traditional meal is nutritious and filling but also very tasty. It is a good meal for fall, winter and spring.
Yield: 10 cabbage rolls
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1 medium head green cabbage
- 1 cup TVP• 1/2 cup cooked rice
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon taco flavorings
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable bouillon
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- soy yogurt, for serving (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Coat a 13×9 inch pan with non stick cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Place the TVP in a bowl.
- Bring water to boil and use to reconstitute the TVP.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut in a circle all around the stem of the cabbage and remove the core.
- Place the cabbage in the boiling water.
- After about 2 minutes an outside leaf will come loose – pull it off and out of the water using tongs.
- After another minute the next leaf will come loose.
- Remove and repeat until you have 8 to 10 leaves.
- Pat the leaves dry with paper towels.
- Cut out the thick part of the rib from the bottom of each leaf, but don’t cut more than a third of the way into the leaf.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the reconstituted TVP, cooled onion, rice, raisins, taco seasonings and salt.
- With the stem side of the cabbage leaf facing you, place a about 1/3 cup of the TVP mixture in the center of each cabbage leaf.
- Fold the bottom edge over the mixture and then fold the sides over and roll into a tidy packet.
- Place the cabbage rolls, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, vegetable bouillon, and paprika.
- Pour evenly over the cabbage rolls.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes.
- Optionally serve the cabbage rolls with a big dollop of soy yogurt.