Scrambled Tofu and Spinach stuffed Tomatoes
This was a tasty, filling diner we had tonight. It’s easy to make and quite a satisfying dish.
Serving Size: 4
Yield: 8 stuffed tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups spinach, washed and chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 8 medium tomatoes
- 4 oz. soy cheese, shredded
- 1 block (ca. 12 ounces) tofu
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric for color
- Pre-heat oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- In a large saute pan over medium-high heat, heat two tablespoons of the olive oil.
- Add the chopped bell pepper and onion.
- Saute until they are soft.
- Crumble the tofu into the pan and continue to saute, mixing the vegetables and tofu well.
- Add the red chili flakes, salt and pepper and then the spinach, cook until wilted and tender about five minutes.
- Set the scrambled tofu aside to cool.
- Cut the tops off each tomato, and using a paring knife or small spoon, remove the seeds to hollow the tomatoes.
- Choose a baking dish that will hold the tomatoes snugly so they don’t roll around when the dish is moved, and drizzle a few drops of the remaining olive oil in the bottom of the dish.
- With the last bit of olive oil, drizzle it in the tomatoes.
- Season the tomatoes with salt and black pepper, and fill each tomato with some of the scrambled tofu mixture.
- Sprinkle the tops of the tomatoes with the soy cheese, and place baking dish in the oven for about 15-20 minutes or until the soy cheese on top is golden and the tomatoes are soft.