Bell Pepper Cornmeal Waffles with Herb Sauce
We enjoyed these as a lovely Sunday brunch. They were delicious. They would also be nice for a light evening supper with a fresh garden salad.
Yield: 7 individual waffles
for the bell pepper cornmeal waffles:
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- pinch cayenne
- 5 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- 2 egg replacements
- 1 ripe bell pepper, orange, red or yellow
- 1 1/4 cups non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped, plus more for serving
for the herb sauce:
- 1 cup non-dairy cream
- 1 bunch dill, chopped
- 1 small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- 1 bunch chives, chopped
- 10 basil leaves chopped
- 5 oregano herbs, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- dash cayenne (optional)
- 1 teaspoon cornflour to thicken if needed
to make the waffles:
- De-seed the bell pepper and chop into small pieces.
- Saute or steam the bell pepper pieces.
- Reserve 1/2 the bell pepper pieces to be pieces in the batter and puree the rest.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- In a second bowl, mix the non-dairy milk, pepper puree, pepper pieces and melted vegan margarine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and add the herbs.
- Allow the batter to set for 10 minutes.
- Spray a hot waffle iron with cooking spray and ladle the bater onto the griddle.
- The waffles can be kept hot in a warm oven until they are all done, or can be served individually.
to make the herb sauce:
- Chop all the herbs.
- Heat the on dairy cream in a saucepan.
- Add the herbs and seasonings.
- Season to taste with additional herbs.
- If the sauce is too thin, mix 1 teaspoon of cornstarch in a bit of water and add to the cream.
- Heat the cream sauce until it becomes thickened.
- Serve the waffles with the cream sauce on top.