There are may different ways to make rhubarb mustard, this one is quite simple and we really enjoyed it with seitan, asparagus and baked potatoes.
Yield: 1 & 1/2 – 2 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 1 jar mild grainy mustard (335 g)
- Clean the rhubarb. Make sure to discard the leaves. Slice the rhubarb in 1 inch chunks.
- In a medium sauce pan, bring the water and sugar to a boil, thus making a simple syrup.
- Add the rhubarb and cook until the rhubarb has become very soft.
- Cook a bit longer to reduce the amount of liquid to about half, thus making thus intensifying the rhubarb flavor.
- Add the jar of mustard to the cooking rhubarb and mix well.
- Cook the rhubarb mustard mixture for about 10 minutes.
- “Can” or “jar” the rhubarb mustard as you would preserves.
Chose a mild grainy mustard that you normally enjoy.