When we became vegan many years ago, there were not many vegan spreads available in the stores, so we used to make our own spreads. This is one of our very favorite ones for rolls and sandwiches, but you can also use it as dip for raw vegetables. It’s quick and easy to make, and inexpensive as well.
Yield: 1 cup
- 1 Tbs. oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
- salt and pepper to taste
- Italian herbs
- Heat the oil and sauté the onions.
- Add the mushrooms and continue to sauté until all are soft.
- Don’t over cook, as you want to use the juices as well.
- Remove from the heat and blend using a food processor or blender.
- Add dried breadcrumbs and seasonings.
- Blend until smooth.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
As a gluten free alternative, you could use ground nuts such as walnuts, almonds or hazelnuts instead of the breadcrumbs.