Yellow and Green Zucchini on Penne with Herbed Soy Cream Sauce
This was a very tasty meal we enjoyed tonight. Our zucchini plants are beginning to give lots of lovely zucchini. Lovage is a very flavourful herb. It is similar to celery.
Serving Size: 4
- 16 ounces wholewheat penne pasta
- 1 med. green zucchini
- 1 med. yellow zucchini
- 2 tablespoons oil
for the sauce:
- 1 cups soy cream
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon vegetable bouillon powder
- splash Tabasco
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh lovage, chopped
- handful fresh basil leaves, chopped
- few thyme sprigs, leaves stripped off
- salt and pepper to taste
- vegan parmesan (optional but nice)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil to cook the penne.
- Clean the zucchini and slice in “penne” sized pieces.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- Chop the fresh herbs.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the zucchini pieces.
- Saute the zucchini until they begin to soften and some are lightly golden brown.
- Place the penne in the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Heat the other tablespoon of oil in a medium sauce pan.
- Add the onions and sauté until soft and glassy.
- Add the chopped herbs, garlic and soy cream.
- Turn the heat down to low.
- Add the vegetable bouillon powder and the optical Tabasco if using.
- Stir to mix well.
- Season to taste with additional salt and pepper.
- When the pene are done, drain the water from the pot.
- Serve the pene, with the creamy herb sauce, and zucchini on top.
- Sprinkle vegan parmesan on top and optionally garish with chopped basil leaves.
If lovage is not available, celery leaves would be a good substitute.