Vegan Spinach Balls with Pesto Sauce
This was a very nice diner that we enjoyed last night.
Serving Size: 4
for the spinach balls:
- 4 slices day old bread
- 16 ounce package fresh spinach, washed
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dill
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly group black pepper
- 2 egg replacement equivalents
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- pinch nutmeg
- oil for frying the spinach balls
for the vegan basil walnut pesto:
- 2 cups tightly packed basil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 2 – 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- splash Tabasco (optional)
to make the spinach balls:
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the minced garlic and lightly sauté.
- Add the spinach and sauté until wilted.
- Using a food processor, pulse the bread to be bread crumbs.
- Add the thyme and black pepper.
- Add the wilted spinach with its juices and oil and pulse again to mix.
- Add the nutritional yeast and nutmeg, and season to taste with salt as desired.
- Mix the egg replacements with water, add to the mixture and pulse well to blend.
- At the very end, add the chopped onions and pulse again. You don’t want the onions minced too small, but well mixed with the other ingredients.
- Form walnut sized balls from a generous tablespoon of the mixture.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the spinach balls evenly.
to make the pesto:
- Place the basil, garlic, lemon juice and oil in a blender and plus to a smooth consistency.
- Add the walnut pieces and pulse again until it is smooth.
- Add the nutritional yeast and pulse.
- Add the salt and pepper and optional Tabasco, pulse again to mix.
We enjoyed the spinach balls with pesto served on a traditional plate of vegan spaghetti.
You can also used chopped frozen spinach.