We enjoyed these tasty burgers for dinner tonight after harvesting the carrots from our garden. The flavor is mildly sweet from the cornmeal and teaspoon of sugar, yet the cumin adds a depth that is also nice.
Yield: 6 big burgers
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons AP flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg replacement
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Peel and grate the carrots into a medium bowl.
- Chop the onion and add to the carrots.
- Add the cornmeal and stir well to mix.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cumin, pinch of salt and black pepper and mix.
- Mix the egg replacement.
- Add the non-dairy milk to the egg replacement and add this mixture to the carrots.
- Mix well.
- If the mixture is too moist to form the burgers, add 2 tablespoons of dried bread crumbs.
- Form the burgers and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Place the burgers in the pan and fry on each side until golden brown.
- We served the burgers on buns, with lettuce and slices of tomatoes.
This recipes can be doubled to make more.