Vegan Carrot Burgers
We enjoyed these tasty burgers for dinner tonight after harvesting the carrots from our garden. The flavor is mildly sweet from the cornmeal and teaspoon of sugar, yet the cumin adds a depth that is also nice.
Yield: 6 big burgers
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons AP flour
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 egg replacement
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- pinch salt
- 2 tablespoons dried bread crumbs
- oil for frying
- Peel and grate the carrots into a medium bowl.
- Chop the onion and add to the carrots.
- Add the cornmeal and stir well to mix.
- Add the flour, sugar, baking powder, cumin, pinch of salt and black pepper and mix.
- Mix the egg replacement.
- Add the non-dairy milk to the egg replacement and add this mixture to the carrots.
- Mix well.
- If the mixture is too moist to form the burgers, add 2 tablespoons of dried bread crumbs.
- Form the burgers and place in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan.
- Place the burgers in the pan and fry on each side until golden brown.
- We served the burgers on buns, with lettuce and slices of tomatoes.
This recipes can be doubled to make more.