Rustic Peach and Blueberry Galette with Almond Crust
This is a very simple but delicious dessert to enjoy while the fruits are in season. The almond crust tastes lovely with these fruits.
Serving Size: 4
for the crust:
- 5 tablespoons almond meal
- 1 cup AP flour
- small pinch salt
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 egg replacement equivalent
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
for the filling:
- 1 & 1/2 lb. fresh peaches, (about 5-6) peeled and sliced
- 1 cup blueberries, washed
- 8 tablespoons sugar
- splash lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- powdered sugar for dusting
to make the crust:
- Place the almond meal, flour, salt and sugar in a food processor and pulse to blend.
- Add the vegan margarine and again pulse to a crumbly mixture.
- Mix the egg substitute and add to the dough.
- Add the vanilla and almond extracts to to the dough and pulse.
- Remove from the food processor, wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator until ready to use.
to make the filling:
- Peel the peaches and slice into a bowl.
- Add the splash of lemon juice to prevent discoloration.
- Add the blueberries and sugar and gently mix. Allow the mixture to sit and draw the juice while you prepare the crust.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Lay baking parchment or silpat on a cookie sheet and lightly spray with oil.
- Lightly dust your workspace with flour, roll out the pastry dough to a circular form about 1/3 of an inch thick. Make a large enough circle to allow folding over to be the edge of the pie.
- Place the rolled out dough on the prepared cookie sheet.
- Add the cornstarch to the peaches and blueberries and mix gently.
- Place the fruit mixture in the center of the dough and fold the edges up around the fruit.
- Place in the oven to bake for 40-45 minutes or until the crust is lightly golden brown.
- Allow the pie to slightly cool and set, then slide onto a serving platter.
- Dust the edges with powdered sugar.