Pears and fennel are a lovely combination together. We enjoyed this light, crispy salad this evening. It was especially nice with the soy cheese, and the ground fennel seeds in the dressing.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 fennel bulb, thinly sliced or shaved
- 2 pears, thinly sliced or shaved
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped and toasted
- small chunk soy cheese, grated or shaved
for the dressing:
- 3 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons agave or maple syrup
- pinch salt
- pinch white pepper
- 1/2-1 teaspoon freshly ground fennel seeds
- Make the dressage first.
- Combine the walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, lemon juice and agave syrup in a small bowl and mix well.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Grind the fennel seeds and add to the dressing.
- Whisk to blend well. Taste and season according to your preference,
- Chop the walnuts and toast in a dry pan.
- Once the walnuts are toasted, remove from the pan and place in a small bowl until needed.
- Slice the core off the bottom of the fennel.
- Cut the fennel bulb in half, and slice very thinly or shave using a mandolin.
- If your pears are organic, you can leave the skin on if desired, otherwise, peel the pears then slice thinly.
- Mix the pears and fennel slices together and mix in a tabletop of dressing to coast evenly and retard discoloration.
- Divide the salad onto four individual plates.
- Sprinkle the toasted walnuts on top and shave or grate the soy cheese on top salad.
- Serve the salad with a carat of the dressing on the side.