These are lovely scones, not too sweet, but the glaze covers for that. They make a great Sunday morning breakfast or mid-afternoon treat.
Yield: 6 scones
- 3/4 cup AP flour
- 2/3 cup oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 cup brown sugar
- 6 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 apple, peeled, cored and diced in small cubes
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk
for the glaze:
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 tablespoon soy yogurt or soy cream
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Prepare the apple.
- Mix in a bowl the flour, oats, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Cut in the vegan margarine until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
- Add the apple pieces and non-dairy milk and mix just enough to moisten and form the dough.
- I made a large circle from the dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured work space and gently kneed to form the dough.
- Lay the dough on a baking parchment lined cookie sheet and gently cut the dough into sixths.
- Slightly separate the scones as they expand a bit while cooking.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until the scones are light golden brown and solid to the touch.
- Remove from the oven when cooked, allow to cool for 15 minutes then glaze.
to make the glaze:
- Place the powdered sugar in a bowl.
- Add the cinnamon and the soy yogurt or soy cream and mix with a fork or whisk.
- When the scones are cooled, drizzle the glaze on top.
The recipe can easily be doubled.