This makes a very nice warm lunch, or supper. Served with a big mixed salad and a wholegrain bread it would be a full meal.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 medium eggplants
- 3 ripe pears
- 3-4 tablespoons sesame seeds toasted
- 1 & 1/2 cups couscous
- 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 organic lemon, zest and juice
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon taco spices
- dash of cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toast the sesame seeds in a dry pan, then remove them from the pan and set aside until needed.
- Zest the outside of the lemon and then juice it.
- Cut the eggplants in small cubes.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- When the oil is hot, add the eggplant and stir well.
- Add the spices and again stir well to mix.
- As the eggplant is cooking, bring 3 cups of water to boil.
- Place the bouillon cube and the couscous in a bowl and add the boiling water.
- Place a lid on the bowl and allow the couscous to swell.
- Peel the pears, slice and cut into chunks.
- Add the pears to the cooking eggplant and gently stir to mix.
- Sprinkle the lemon juice around, ands season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve the eggplant and pears over the couscous.
- Garnish with the lemon zest and a few more sesame seeds.