Baked Nut Filled Pears en Croute with Lemon Syrup
These lovely fresh pears were cored, then filled with a ground almond and cinnamon mixture. Wrapped with vegan puff pastry and baked (= en croute). Served with a light lemon sauce, they were lovely on a chilly day.
Yield: 4 servings
- 4 pears, cored and peeled
- 4 sheets frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed and cut in strips
- 4 tablespoons ground almonds or other nuts
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- Place the 4 tablespoons of ground nuts in a small bow.
- Add the powdered sugar and cinnamon and mix.
- Prepare a cookie sheet with baking parchment.
- Preheat the oven to 425 F or whatever the box of puff pastry indicates.
- Thaw the 4 sheets of puff pastry and slice in thin strips (about 1/2 thick).
- Slice a small portion of the bottom of the pears off, in order for it to sit up evenly.
- Using an apple corer or long thin knife, remove the core from the bottom side through the middle section of the pears.
- Peel the outside of the pears.
- Fill the inner cavity of the pears with the nut mixture and place on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Carefully wrap each pear with the strips of puff pastry, slightly overlapping in order to keep the pear covered and the pastry together.
- Place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes.
- While the pears are baking, make a light lemon syrup.
- Place the lemon juice, sugar and water in a small sauce pan and heat, stirring to dissolve the sugar.
- Other options are to make a chamomile syrup, an elderberry syrup or other syrup of choice. We enjoyed the lemon.
- When the pears are golden, remove from the oven and place on individual plates.
- Allow to cool slightly as they are very hot.
- The syrup can be poured in a carafe for individuals to help themselves.