These sushi inspired puff pastry bites with banana were lots of fun and tasted delicious. Harald came up with the idea and I had fun making them.
Yield: 12 bites
- 4 bananas
- 3-4 sheets frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 1 vegan chocolate bar
- 2 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons vegan chocolate hazelnut spread
- pretzel (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F or whatever the puff pastry package indicates.
- Peel the bananas and cut them in bite-sized (about 3/4 of an inch) rounds.
- Using an apple corer, cut the center part of each round out to make a hollow opening.
- Slice each sheet of thawed puff pastry into strips, the same size as the banana bites (about 3/4 of an inch).
- Wrap each hollow banana bite with a strip of puff pastry and close the pastry with a bit of water and pressing the two ends together on top of each other.
- Place the banana bites on a cookie sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Cut the vegan chocolate bar into small thin pieces that will fit into the hollow of the banana.
- Using knife, or small spoon, fill the hollow with peanut butter or the hazelnut/chocolate spread.
- Place a piece of chocolate in or next to the peanut butter in the hollow.
- We also added a couple of pretzels cut off at the right size to give some crispness.
- Fill all of the banana bites and place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Once done, remove from the oven and allow to cool as they are quite hot and could burn your tongue.