Steamed Rutabaga with Orange Ginger Sauce
Last winter, we have enjoyed getting to know rutabaga and they are still available in the stores now in April. We’ve enjoyed the tasty vegetable in soups, as part of main meals and as salad. This nice side dish was very tasty. The rutabaga is slightly sweet and mild in flavor. The orange sauce was a lovely compliment.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cubed (about 4 cups)
- 1 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- splash Tabasco (optional)
- pinch salt and pepper
- chives as garnish
- Peel the rutabaga and chop into small bite-sized cubes.
- Bring a pot of water to boil with a steamer basket. Place the rutabaga pieces in the steamer and cook until tender (about 20 minutes).
- Meanwhile, squeeze oranges for 1 cup of juice.
- Place the orange juice in a small sauce pan. Add the ginger, salt and pepper and the cornstarch. Mix well.
- Turn the heat up and stir while the sauce thickens.
- Taste and season accordingly, with additional salt and pepper, ginger and optionally the Tabasco.
- When the sauce has become thickened, remove from the heat.
- Check the rutabaga by piercing with a fork. When the rutabaga are done, remove from the steamer and place in a serving dish.
- Drizzle the orange sauce over the top. Optionally garnish with chopped chives and an orange slice.