This is a very nice main meal that we enjoyed. It could also be used as a side dish for a dinner.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup barley
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- 1&1/2 lb. winter squash (butternut, Hokkaido etc.), seeded, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame seed oil
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon chili flakes (optional but tasty)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/3 cup toasted walnut pieces
- vegan Parmesan cheese
- Cook the barley in a saucepan with 2 cups of vegetable bouillon.
- Toast the walnut pieces in a dry pan. When done, remove from the heat and set aside.
- Cut the squash in chunks, remove the seeds and peel if not organic.
- Run the squash through a food processor on grate or shred.
- Chop the onion in small pieces.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the onion and begin to sauté.
- When the onion becomes glassy, add the shredded squash and stir to evenly coat.
- Add the cooked barley and mix well.
- Add the white wine and continue cooking and stirring.
- Add an additional cup of vegetable bouillon as the liquid evaporates.
- Stir well to mix.
- Add the nutmeg, thyme and chili flakes.
- Splash the mixture with the lemon juice and stir to mix well.
- The squash will not need long to cook.
- Add the walnut pieces and season to taste.
- Serve with the vegan Parmesan cheese sprinkled on top.
We enjoyed this in using the thyme as the main seasoning spice. However it would also be nice using sage instead of thyme.