This is a special meal that does require time to prepare. We really enjoyed this meal and will be having it again. We enjoyed this meal with a mixed salad, whole grain baguette and a lovely vegan white wine.
Serving Size: 4
for the carrot gnocchi:
- 1/2 lb. carrots (about 5 or 6 medium ones)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 lb. baking potato 1-2 medium
- 1/2 white onion, chopped fine
- 2-3 tablespoons semolina flour
- pinch salt, pinch nutmeg
for the red pepper sauce:
- 2 roasted red bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can coconut cream
- 1-2 teaspoons ajar or other spicy red pepper paste
- salt and pepper to taste
to make the gnocchi:
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 205 C.
- Prick the skin of the potatoes with a fork and place in the oven.
- Peel the carrots and slice.
- Place the carrots in a small baking dish and drizzle the olive oil on top.
- Bake the carrots and potatoes in the oven until soft (30-45 minutes). Stir the carrots once or twice to cook evenly.
- When the vegetables are soft remove from the oven.
- Put the carrots in a large bowl, or a food processor.
- Remove the potato from the skins and add the potato to the carrots.
- Add the chopped onion and puree to a thick mixture.
- Place 2-3 tablespoons of flour on a workspace.
- Place the pureed mixture onto the flour and kneed/work to form the dough.
- Roll the dough into long “snakes”
- Cut into bite sized pieces and flatten with a fork to make the traditional gnocchi look.
- The prepared gnocchi can be placed on a lightly floured plate to await cooking.
meanwhile prepare the sauce:
- Puree the roasted red bell peppers, the minced garlic, and the coconut cream together using a blender, food processor or an immersion blender.
- Add the spicy paste, and again, bled to a smooth sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour the sauce into a medium sauce pan and heat over a gentle fire.
to make the gnocchi:
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Boil the gnocchi until the float. Don’t cook too many at one time. 10-12 depending on the size of your pot.
- Serve the cooked gnocchi with the creamy red pepper sauce. It can be garnished with basil, chives or dusted with some vegan Parmesan cheese.
Using prepared roasted bell peppers saves time and work. We used prepared ajar spicy pepper paste for the red pepper sauce.