With fresh produce at it’s peak now, we are happy to suggest this tasty salad for our vegan friends. It’s a lovely crunchy mixture of fruit and vegetable with a nice spicy yet sweet dressing.
Serving Size: 4
- 2-3 ripe nectarines (depending on size)
- 1-2 turnips (depending on size), peeled and sliced
- salad greens
- 4 ounces vegan cheese, cut in small pieces
for the fresh red currant vinaigrette:
- 6 ounces fresh red currants, cleaned
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/3 cup white wine or white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons agave
- 1/4 teaspoon taco seasoning
- pinch salt and pepper
- Clean the salad greens and place on individual salad plates.
- If the nectarines are organic, then slice, if they are not organic, peel them first and then slice.
- Peel the turnip and slice thinly.
- Arrange the nectarine and turnip slices alternating in a flower shape on the bed of salad greens.
- Slice the vegan cheese in cubes and sprinkle over the salad.
- Drizzle the vinaigrette over the salad.
to make the vinaigrette:
- Place the cleaned red currants in a small sauce pan.
- Add the sugar and about 1/4 cup water.
- Brig to a boil and cook until the currants have softened
- Puree the red currants and push the liquid though a sieve, discarding the solids that do not go through the sieve.
- Mix the currant sauce with the rest of the ingredients and whisk to blend.
- Season to taste with any other seasonings you desire.