Santa Fe Tofu
This really tasted great, even on a hot summer night. It would be lovely in the fall and winter as well. It’s really quite simple to make, and could even be cooked in a slow cooker or crock pot.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 pound tofu, sliced in fillets
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15 ounces) black or kidney beans, drained
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil, (divided)
- 1 cup corn
- 4-6 spring onions, chopped
- 1 small chili pepper, de-seeded ad chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 1 – 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons taco seasons (more if you desire)
- handful cilantro, chopped
- shredded vegan cheese to serve
- taco chips to serve
- Chop the red onion and bell pepper.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet.
- Add the chopped red onion and bell pepper pieces and sauté.
- Add the diced tomatoes.
- Drain the beans (black or kidney) and add to the tomatoes.
- Add the corn to the mixture and stir.
- Add the seasonings and season to taste. with salt and pepper.
- Turn the heat down and allow the mixture to simmer.
- Meanwhile, dry the tofu with a paper town and slice into fillets.
- Heat the 2nd tablespoon of oil and fry the tofu golden on both sides.
- Wash and chop the cilantro and spring onions. Add a bit of each to the vegetables, and reserve the rest as garnish.
- Serve the meal on a bed of white rice.
- Garnish with the shredded vegan cheese, some cilantro and spring onions and taco chips.