This is a very nice combination and an easy treat to assemble/make.
Serving Size: 4
for the puff pastry:
- 1 & 1/2 cups vegan vanilla pudding, home made or store bought
- 1 cup red currant sauce
- 4 sheets vegan puff pastry
- powder sugar as garnish
for the red currant sauce:
- 12 ounces red currants, clean and stripped from the stems
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed to a paste with a bit of water
to make the puff pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C or whatever the package of puff pastry indicates.
- If making your own custard begin with that so it can cool and set. Follow the indications on the package of vegan custard. (We used Orgran Egg-Free Custard).
- Thaw the puff pastry sheets.
- Slice each sheet into a triangle diagonally.
- Prick the triangles which will be the bottom pastry with a fork so they do not puff up so much.
- Place the puff pastries in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
to make the red currant sauce:
- Clean the red currants and strip them from the stem. This is easiest using a fork.
- Place the red currants, sugar, lemon juice and water in a small sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- When the berries have softened, remove from the heat ad push as much liquid as possible through a non-reactive sieve.
- Discard the unused solids and return the berry juice to the saucepan.
- Mix the cornstarch with water to form a thick liquid or paste.
- Add the cornstarch to the berry sauce.
- Heat, stirring until the sauce has become clean and thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
to assemble the treat:
- Place a “bottom” puff pastry triangle on each individual plate. (If it has puffed too push you can gently push it down with a spoon.
- Top each bottom triangle with the vanilla pudding.
- Place the top puff pastry triangle on top f the vegan custard and dust with powdered sugar.
- Spoon some of he red currant sauce around the puff pastry and serve.
As an easy alternative you could use store bought non-dairy custard and either red currant jelly melted down, or cherry pie filling would also be good.