Beet and Pear Soup with Lemon Avocado Cream
This is a mild soup which is slightly sweet from the pears. The lemony avocado cream and lemon zest as garnish really bring out the flavors of the soup
Serving Size: 4
for the soup:
- 3 medium beets, peeled and chopped
- 1 red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1-2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 ripe pears, peeled ad chopped
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- salt and pepper to taste
- pinch of sugar
- splash of lemon juice
- dill or fennel frond as garnish
for the avocado cream:
- 1/2 avocado
- 2 teaspoons lemon or lime juice
- 2-3 tablespoons soy yogurt
- organic lemon zest
- Prepare the vegetables.
- Heat the oil in a soup pot.
- Add the carrots and onions and sauté until they begin to soften.
- Add the beets, garlic and pears.
- Add the vegetables stock and cook the soup until the vegetables are soft. Depending on the size of the chunks it will take 20-40 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, prepare the avocado cream.
- Peel the avocado and cut into small pieces.
- Place the avocado pieces in a blender and add the lemon juice and soy yogurt.
- Blend to a smooth consistency.
- Place the avocado cream in a small bowl to be used at the table.
- When the vegetables of the soup are soft, puree the mixture to a creamy soup.
- Serve the soup with sprinkled with lemon zest, the avocado cream in dollops and optionally a frond of dill or fennel.