These are really great muffins. The almond flavor is an important ingredient that adds a lot to the overall flavor of these muffins.
Yield: 12 muffins
for the muffins:
- 1 & 1/2 cups oats
- 1 & 1/4 cups AP flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan margarine, melted
- 2 egg replacements (e.g. “No-Egg” by Orgran)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 3/4 cup fresh plums, cleaned, stone removed and chopped in small pieces
for the streusel topping:
- 3 tablespoons oats
- 2 tablespoons almond flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine, melted
- Melt the vegan margarine for the streusel topping and the muffin batter.
- Wash the plums, remove the stones and cut into small pieces.
- Place the plum pieces in a small bowl.
- Slice one or 2 extra plums in thin slices to be used on the top of the muffins.
- Prepare the streusel topping by putting the oats, almond flour and sugar in a small bowl.
- Add the tablespoon of melted vegan margarine and mix or blend with a fork.
- Prepare the muffin tins with muffin papers.
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 205 C.
- To make the muffins, place the oats, AP flour, baking powder and cinnamon in a medium bowl.
- Prepare the egg replacements.
- In a smaller bowl, mix the non-dairy milk, the melted vegan margarine, the egg replacements, the almond extract and the sugar together.
- Put the chopped plum pieces into the flour mixture and lightly toss to mix. Putting the plums in the flour mixture will avoid the plums sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and gently mix.
- Spoon the muffin batter into each muffin tin, filling each muffin paper about 3/4 of the way.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping over each muffin and add a slice of plum to the top of each muffin.
- Bake in the oven for 22-25 minutes.
- When the muffins are lightly golden, remove from the oven and allow to slightly cool before enjoying.