This is a really nice and simple cake to make. It only uses 1 cup of pumpkin puree and has 2 apples. The flavor is perfect for a lovely fall day.
Serving Size: 8
for the cake:
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 1 & 1/2 cups sugar
- 2 egg replacements
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 medium large apples, peeled and chopped in small pieces
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
for the glaze:
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider or apple juice
- pinch cinnamon
to make the cake:
- If you are using a fresh pumpkin,then prepare the puree first, then proceed with the regular instructions.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F / 177 C.
- Oil a spring form cake pan, a 9 inch Bundt cake pan or 2 loaf pans.
- In a large bowl, mix the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, ground cloves and ground ginger.
- Whisk lightly to mix.
- Prepare the apples.
- In a medium bowl, cream the vegan margarine and sugar until it is light yellow and smooth.
- Add the pumpkin puree and egg replacements and mix to blend.
- Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture and lightly mix until just moistened.
- Fold in the apples and mix.
- Place the cake batter in the baking form and bake in the oven for 45-55 minutes. Depending on what form you use, check the cake after about 45 minutes.
- When the center springs back, the top is golden brown and a toothpick inserted, comes out clean, the cake is done.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before removing from the pan.
- Allow the cake to completely cool before adding the glaze or frosting.
to make the glaze:
- Place the powdered sugar in a bowl. Add a pinch of cinnamon of desired.
- Add 1 tablespoon of apple cider or juice at a time and stir to a thick but smooth glaze.
- We frosted the cake by drizzling the glaze back and forth on top.