Savory Beet and Vegan Feta Scones
These savory scones are really tasty. They are great for a Sunday morning breakfast or brunch or could even be for a holiday breakfast.
Serving Size: 2
Yield: 6 scones
- 1 & 1/2 cups AP flour
- 3/4 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/2 cup soy milk or non-dairy milk
- 1/4 cup soy cheese, grated
- 1 medium large beet, steamed
- small handful chives, chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup vegan feta, cut in small cubes
Make the vegan feta (tofu) cheese a day or so ahead of time. You can find the recipe here: http://www.coloradovegan.com/?p=1394
to make the scones:
- Preheat the oven to 425 F /218 C .
- Peel the beet and cut into small cubes. You will want about 1/2 cup of small beet cubes.
- Place in a steamer and steam al dente.
- When cooked, remove from the steamer and place on a small plate to “dry”.
- Place the flour in a large bowl.
- Add the baking powder, salt, thyme, nutritional yeast and whisk to mix.
- Cut in the vegan margarine to form small sand sized pebbles.
- Add the shredded vegan cheese and mix.
- Add the beets and vegan feta and gently mix with the dry ingredients.
- Add the non-dairy milk and gently mix together to form a sticky dough.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured workspace and kneed 2-3 times. You may need to add a bit more flour if it is too sticky or a bit more milk if it is too dry. Be careful not to overwork the dough as it will become tough.
- Form a circle from the dough and using a floured knife, cut 6 triangular scones.
- Place on a baking parchment lined baking sheet and bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until lightly brown and solid.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.
The recipe can be doubled