This is a delicious side dish or a great main meal for vegans.
Serving Size: 4
for the vegetables:
- 3 lbs. fall root vegetables as: potatoes, golden beets, red beets, rutabaga, turnips and carrots
- 4-5 cloves garlic, skins on but end trimmed away
- 1 large red onion, peeled and quartered, then sliced into eighths
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- sprinkling of salt
- sprinkling of fresh thyme leaves
for the cider sauce:
- 2 cups apple cider
- pinch salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine
- Preheat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Peel and cut the vegetables in large bite sized pieces. (about 1 inch each)
- Place the prepared vegetables in a large baking dish.
- Add the garlic and onions.
- Drizzle the olive oil over and sprinkle the salt and thyme.
- Place in the oven to bake for 1 to 1 ¼ hour.
- While the vegetables are roasting, make the cider sauce.
- Place 1 & 1/2 cups of cider in a saucepan.
- Add the salt and thyme leaves and bring to a soft simmer.
- As the cider begins to boil down, turn lower to a simmer.
- Shortly before time to serve, add the vegan margarine and allow to melt into the reduced cider.
- Mix the last 1/2 cup cider with the cornstarch and then add to the cider sauce.
- Heat the sauce, stirring until the sauce become thick.
- Season to taste with cinnamon or nutmeg and salt as desired.
- Serve the vegetables hot from the oven with the cider drizzled on top or in a gravy boat for people to help themselves.