This is really delicious and would be a perfect side dish for any holiday meal. It’s sweet enough that even kids would love it.
- 4 lbs. rutabaga, peeled and cut into pieces
- 3-4 ripe pears, peeled and cut into pieces
- 1 2″ knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 cup soy cream
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- salt and (white) pepper to taste
- mint as optional garnish
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F / 204 C.
- Oil an oven proof baking dish.
- Peel and cut the pears, remember to slice a few to use as garnish. The rest can be cubed or chopped.
- Place the pears in the baking dish, add the sugar and sprinkle the ginger on top.
- Place the pears in the oven to roast for about 1/2 an hour, turning every so often to ensure even baking.
- Meanwhile, peel the rutabaga and cut into small chunks.
- We prefer to steam the rutabaga. Steam for about 35 minutes or until soft.
- Puree the cooked rutabaga either with a potato ricer, or an infusion blender, or whatever you have.
- Add the vegan margarine and a splash of non-dairy creamer as soy cream.
- Add most of the roasted pears with the juice and puree. Reserve some pears as garnish.
- Season with salt and pepper and the thyme.
- To serve the side dish, place in a serving dish and add the rest of the pears. We used a few mint leaves as garnish also.