Beets and Red Cabbage On Pasta
This is a very tasty meal, we quite enjoyed it. It would be pretty for Valentine’s Day or be great on any other day as well.
Serving Size: 4
for the pasta:
- 3 cups spirelli pasta
- 3 beets, peeled and cubed
- 1/2 small red cabbage, thinly shredded
- 1 large red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 lemon
- red pepper flakes
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegetable stock, or apple juice to braise the red cabbage
for the creamy vegan cheese:
- 1 cup plain soy yogurt
- 1 large teaspoon mustard
- lemon juice
- of nutmeg
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- Peel and cut the beets.
- Place in a steamer and steam until soft. Alternatively boil until soft.
- While the beets are cooking, shred the red cabbage in very thin slices.
- Slice the red onion and mince the garlic.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Add the red onion and begin to sauté.
- As the onions become glassy, add the shredded red cabbage and minced garlic.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- When the beets are cooked, drain and add to the cooking red cabbage.
- Add a bit of vegetable bouillon or a splash of apple juice to braise the red cabbage and beets.
- Add the pasta to the boiling water and cook until al dente.
- Prepare the vegan cheese sauce by mixing the ingredients together in a medium bowl.
- Season the red cabbage and beets with a splash of lemon juice, pinch of red pepper flakes, salt and pepper.
- Drain the pasta.
- Serve the pasta with the beet and cabbage mixture on top.
- Add a few dollops of the creamy vegan cheese.
- Garnish with a few sprinkles of thyme leaves.
If you wanted to make it heartier, you could add spicy tofu pieces or a few crumbled pistachios.