Vegan Hot Crossed Buns
Hot crossed buns are usually made at Easter-time, but they are a really nice treat anytime.
Yield: 6 buns
- 1 cup AP flour
- 1 package yeast
- 1 teaspoon mixed spices (allspice, nutmeg)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup raisins or dried currents
- 1/4 cup candied citron
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/3-1/2 cup warm water
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- few drops vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons non-dairy milk
- Place the flour, salt and spices in a bowl.
- Add the 1 tablespoon sugar, raisins or currents and citron.
- Mix well.
- Place the yeast, 1 teaspoon of sugar and warm water in a small bowl and allow to bubble for a few minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix (I used a fork).
- Place plastic wrap or a wet towel over the top of the bowl and place the bowl in a warm spot for the dough to raise.
- When the dough has doubled in size, preheat the oven to 425 F / 218 C, and form 6 buns.
- Place the buns on a rimmed baking sheet with baking parchment.
- Place in the oven to bake for 10-15 minutes.
- While the buns are baking, make the frosting for the crosses.
- Mix the powdered sugar, vanilla and non-dairy creamer into a thick mixture.
- Place the mixture in a pastry bag or decorating tube.
- When the buns are done remove from the oven and allow to cool on a rack.
- Once, cooled, decorate the buns with a cross.
- We enjoyed the buns with a fresh cup of coffee.