Springtime Zucchini Tart with Edible Flower Garnish
We enjoyed this lovely tart today for lunch. It would make a lovely brunch or special occasion meal. It would be then important to double or triple the recipe.
Serving Size: 1
- 4 sheets frozen vegan puff pastry, thawed
- 1 small zucchini, very thinly shaved
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese sauce
- 4-5 ounces spicy tofu pieces, prepared
- small handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- small handful chives, chopped
for the vegan cheese:
- 1/2 cup soy yogurt
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- lemon juice
- edible flowers of choice
- Prepare the vegan cheese sauce by combining the ingredients in a small bowl.
- Pre-heat the oven according to the instructions on the puff pastry package.
- Thaw the vegan puff pastry.
- Lay 2 squares of the pastry next each other, on a rimmed baking sheet prepared with baking parchment.
- Slightly overlap the pastry and press to untie into a long rectangle.
- Slice the other 2 pieces of puff pastry into long strips.
- Using a bit of water, attach the strips along the edges of the rectangle to form a raised edge.
- Prick the inner part of the rectangle with a fork.
- Place 1-2 tablespoons of the vegan cheese sauce on the bottom of the puff pastry and spread evenly to cover the bottom.
- Place in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, using a mandolin or spirale slicer, very thinly shave the zucchini.
- Chop the parsley and chives.
- Clean and prepare the edible flowers.
- When the puff pastry is done, remove from the oven.
- Spoon the rest of the vegan cheese sauce onto the bottom of the pastry.
- Lay the zucchini slices on top of the sauce.
- Place the prepared spicy tofu pieces here and there on the tart.
- Sprinkle the parsley and chives over the zucchini and garnish with the edible flowers.
- Serve warm from the oven.
Make sure the flowers you have chosen are edible. Be sure the flowers you have chosen have not been sprayed with chemicals, are not from areas where dogs or animals may have soiled them, and that they were not along a roadside collecting exhausts.