Carrot and Chervil Soup
We have been enjoying chervil lately. it has a lovely fresh flavour mildly like anise. Chervil goes really well with carrots, potatoes and many other vegetables. This is an elegant soup we will be making it often through the summer. I bet it would even make a nice juice raw.
- 1 cup carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 cup onion or shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup chervil
- 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1 ½ quarts vegetable bouillon
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- nutmeg, salt and pepper to taste
- fennel seeds and chervil as garnish
- Peel and slice the carrots, chop the onions or shallots.
- Place the vegan margarine in a large soup pot.
- Heat to melt the margarine.
- Add the carrots and begin to sauté to soften.
- Wash the chervil and spin dry.
- Add the chopped onion or shallots to the carrots.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and turn the heat to simmer.
- Add 1/2 cup of chervil and cook the soup until the carrots are soft.
- When the carrots are soft, puree the soup. I use an immersion blender.
- Add the soy yogurt and mix well.
- Season with the orange juice, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve the soup garnished with some fennel seeds and some fresh chervil.