German Asparagus Potato Salad
Asparagus and Potatoes are a favorite and very tasty combination. This is a sweet salty type potato salad. It’s easy to make and tastes great no matter which asparagus you use.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 ¼ lb. potatoes, cooked, peeled and in bite sized pieces
- 1 lb. asparagus
- 1 cup vegetable bouillon
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mild mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- parsley, finely chopped
- ½ cup soft vegan cheese to dollop as garnish and for flavor
- Cook the potatoes al dente.
- Allow them to cool, then peel and cut into bite sized chunks.
- Put the potato pieces in a large bowl.
- If using white asparagus, cut off the thick woody end, and peel using a vegetable peeler. If you have green asparagus, all you need to do is wash and cut off the woody end.
- Slice the asparagus in 1 – 1½ inch pieces.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil.
- Place the asparagus pieces in the water to cook.
- Cook the asparagus al dente. Check for “doneness” by piercing with a fork.
- When the asparagus are done, remove from the water and plunge into a bowl of icy water to stop the cooking process.
- Chop the onion and place in a small saucepan.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and bring to a boil.
- Cook until the onion is soft – just a few minutes.
- Add the vinegar, sugar and mustard to the onion bouillon, thus making a vinaigrette sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
- Pour the sauce over the potatoes and asparagus and gently mix.
- Allow the salad to marinate for at least ½ hour.
- Shortly before serving, chop the herbs and add to the salad.
- Serve the salad in a large serving bowl.
- Garnish with dollops of soft vegan cheese and a few more herbs sprinkled on top.