Rhubarb Chinese 5 Spices Barbecue Sauce
This is a great savory use for rhubarb. The sauce is both sweet and spicy and can be as hot or mild as you choose. It’s a very nice barbecue sauce or glaze.
Yield: 2½ cups
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 can tomato paste (4 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup rhubarb compote
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sunflower
- 3 tablespoons tamari
- 1-2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the sunflower oil and sesame oil in a saucepan.
- Chop the onion.
- Add the onion pieces to the oil and sauté.
- Add the tomato paste and water.
- Stir well to mix.
- Add the rhubarb compote, tamari, rice vinegar and cayenne.
- Turn the heat on low and allow the seasonings to blend.
- Add the ginger, garlic powder and season to taste with salt and pepper.