This has really been the year for strawberries. We have had a bounty of beautiful, organic strawberries. This is one of the recipes we have recently enjoyed.
Yield: 6 scones
- 1½ cups strawberries, stemmed and cut into small pieces
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2½ teaspoons poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons cold vegan margarine
- ⅔ cup cold soy milk
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 205°C.
- Cut up the strawberries into small pieces and add 1 tablespoon of the sugar to them.
- Put the flour, baking powder, sugar, poppy seeds, lemon zest and salt in a bowl.
- Cut the vegan margarine into the dry ingredients until the mixture breaks down like sand particles. I do this by hand, it goes quickly and is not really that messy to do.
- Add the strawberries and gently mix to cover the strawberries with the flour mixture,
- Add the soy milk and stir very carefully until the mixture clings together. You may need to add some more flour if the dough is too wet.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured workspace and gently fold once or twice, and form an 8 inch round.
- Using a floured knife, cut the round into 6 even scones,
- Place on an ungreased cookie sheet, and bake for 20-30 minutes or until lightly browned and firm.
- Serve hot.
Optionally you can add a simple glaze once the scones have cooled.
The glaze is made with powdered sugar and a bit of water or lemon juice, then drizzled on top.