Vegan Red Cabbage and Sausage Soup
When is a soup a stew or a stew a soup? I would call this a stew, but it depends on how much sauce or broth there is. In any case this is really delicious especially with a big mixed salad and whole grain bread.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups black-eyed peas (cooked) or 1 cup dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb. organic red potatoes, cleaned and cut in bite sized pieces
- 4-6 vegan hot dogs or vegan sausages
- 1/2 lb. red cabbage, shredded in big pieces or chopped
- 2 leeks, chopped
- 4-6 cups vegetable bouillon
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika (more to dust as garnish)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup vegan soy cream
- If you are using dried black-eyed peas, then you must start the night before and soak them over-night. Then cook the black-eyed peas until soft but not mushy.
- Clean and chop the potatoes, chop the leeks, mince the garlic and shred or slice the red cabbage
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot.
- Add the leeks to the hot oil.
- Add the potato pieces and the vegetable bouillon. Start with 4 cups of vegetable bouillon, then you can add more if you need/want more liquid.
- Cook the potatoes until they begin to soften.
- Cut the vegan hot dogs in bite sized pieces and add to the cooking potatoes.
- Drain the black-eyed peas of any liquid and add to the soup.
- Add the red cabbage and balsamic vinegar
- Add the smoked paprika and gently stir to mix the soup.
- Blend the cornstarch with a bit of water and mix into the soup to thicken the sauce.
- At the last minute add the vegan cream.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, perhaps a small pinch of sugar to off-set the vinegar, however we did not find that necessary. The balsamic vinegar was already sweet enough and blended with the red cabbage.
- Serve the soup garnished with a dusting of smoky paprika.
This recipe was inspired by http://www.thingsimadetoday.com/2014/08/01/red-cabbage-sausage-soup. We used vegan ingredients and added a few other seasonings as well.