Baked Pears En Croute Filled with Vegan Spicy Caramel Sauce
This tasty treat is really quite easy to make, and looks so lovely when you serve guests. The spicy caramel sauce makes it particularly special for a holiday.
Serving Size: 4
- 4 pears
- 5 slices frozen vegan puff pastry
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- for the spicy caramel sauce
- 1/4 cup vegan margarine
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- small pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup non-dairy cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F (204°C).
- Thaw the 5 vegan puff pastry sheets. You will want to use 1 per pear, and the 5th for decorations.
- Mix the golden raisins, sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Using the pointed end of a vegetable peeler or a narrow paring knife, pierce the bottom end of the pear and remove the seeds.
- Check to see if the pear will stand upright, if not, slice a bit off the bottom so it will.
- Carefully peel the pear using a vegetable peeler.
- Fill the open space from removing the seeds with the raisin mixture.
- Set the pear on a baking sheet lined with baking parchment.
- Slice a sheet of the thawed puff pastry into 6 thin strips.
- Begin at the top of the pear and warp the pear evenly with the strips of puff pastry, overlapping enough so that the pear is completely covered.
- Do steps 3-9 for each of the pears.
- Cut 4 leaf shapes from the last piece of puff pastry. Perhaps score “leaf veins” on top, then slightly moisten the under side of the leaf with water and place on top of each of the pears, near the stem.
- Place the pears in the oven to bake for 18-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- While the pears are baking make the vegan spicy caramel sauce.
- To make the spicy caramel sauce: Heat the vegan margarine in a medium saucepan.
- Add the light brown sugar.
- Keep the heat low.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, small pinch of salt and allspice.
- Remove from the heat and add the vegan non-dairy cream, stirring to make a smooth sauce.
- When the pears are done, remove from the oven.
- Allow the pears to cool as they are very hot inside and you don’t want to burn people’s mouths.
- Carefully, using a spatula remove each pear from the baking parchment and place on individual dessert plates.
- Drizzle a bit of the caramel sauce on and around the pear and enjoy.