Vegan Lemon Blueberry Pancakes with Blueberry Syrup
Blueberry pancakes are a classic American breakfast. They are also great served as a dessert or an afternoon treat.
Yield: 8 medium pancakes
for the pancakes:
- 1¼ cups AP flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 egg replacement (e.g. Orgran No-Egg)
- 1 cup + 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk (we used almond milk)
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons light cooking oil
- ½ organic lemon (zest and juice)
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (washed)
- oil for the pan
for the syrup:
- 2 cups blueberries,washed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- pinch of cinnamon (optional but nice)
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- splash lemon juice
to make the blueberry syrup:
- Make the blueberry syrup first.
- Wash the blueberries.
- Bring the water and sugar to boil in a medium saucepan.
- Add the blueberries and pinch of cinnamon.
- Cook until the blueberries have burst, then turn the heat lower.
- Mix the lemon juice with a tablespoon of water and add the cornstarch.
- Mix to make a smooth paste then add to the blueberries.
- Cook, stirring until the sauce becomes clear and thick.
- Remove from the heat but keep lightly warm.
to make the pancakes:
- Place the AP flour in a medium large bowl.
- Add the baking powder, sugar and salt.
- Zest and juice the lemon.
- In a small bowl, place the almond milk and add the lemon juice and zest.
- Add the egg replacement and mix well.
- Add the 2 teaspoons of oil and again mix.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry and mix well using a fork.
- Add the ½ cup of washed blueberries and gently mix.
- Heat your frying pan well.
- Lightly oil the frying pan.
- Add 1 or 2 spoonfuls of the batter to make the pancakes.
- Wait until the bubbles appear on top, then flip the pancakes over.
- If making many, you can keep the first ones heated in the oven until they are all ready to serve.
- I wipe out my pan with a paper towel in between each pancake set, and re-oil so that all the pancakes are lightly golden.
- Serve the pancakes with the blueberry syrup on top.