Carrot, Pear and Almond Spread
This is a very tasty spread that is slightly sweet and also salty. It makes a great sandwich spread and is also nice as dip for veggies or to go along with crackers.
Yield: 2 cups spread
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 pears, peeled and core removed
- ½ cup non-dairy cheese sauce*
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 3-4 tablespoons chives, chopped
for the non-dairy cheese sauce:
- ½ cup soy yogurt
- 1 heaping tablespoon light miso
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- splash lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon mustard
- dash onion powder
- dash garlic powder
- dash nutmeg
- dash Tabasco
- dash pepper
- splash maple syrup
- Peel and chop the carrots.
- Place in a small saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil and cook until the carrots are soft.
- While the carrots are cooking, make the non-dairy cheese sauce (see below).
- When the carrots are soft, drain off the water and puree the carrots.
- Peel the pears and remove the core.
- Cut the pears into the pureed carrots and once again, puree to mix.
- Add the vegan cheese sauce to the mixture and mix well.
- Add the cup of almond meal and mix well.
- Add all but 1 teaspoon of the chives and mix well.
- Season to taste.
- We garnished the spread with 1 teaspoon of chives sprinkled on top.
to make the non-dairy cheese sauce:
- Place the soy yogurt in a small bowl.
- Add the miso and whisk to blend.
- Add the lemon juice, garlic and onion powder, nutritional yeast and mustard and again mix well to blend.
- Add the pepper, nutmeg, and Tabasco.
- Mix well, and season to taste.
- We found a small splash of maple syrup brought all of the flavors out.