Udon Noodles with Eggplant, Red Bell Pepper and Mango
We have been enjoying more Asian meals lately. They are usually full of fresh vegetables, lightly cooked so they are still crunchy and lightly seasoned. This was a meal we enjoyed today which included a fresh mango and was served on Japanese udon (wheat flour) noodles.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 package udon noodles for 4 people (ca. 28 ounces)
- 2 medium eggplants. cut in small cubes
- 2 medium red bell peppers, de-seeded and cut in small squares
- 1 package spicy tofu pieces (8 ounces)
- 1 red onion, minced
- 2 tablespoons cooking oil
- 1 large ripe mango, peeled and sliced
- handful basil leaves, chopped
- handful coriander or cilantro leaves, chopped
for the sauce:
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 generous tablespoon sugar or agave syrup
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/4- 1/2 teaspoon red chili pepper flakes
- 1 lime, zest and juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- To prepare the sauce: Place the rice vinegar, sugar, minced garlic, sesame oil, chili pepper flakes, lime juice and zest in a bowl and whisk well.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as needed.
- Prepare the vegetables. De-seed and cut the red bell peppers.
- Mince the red onion and cube the eggplants.
- Bring a pot of lightly salted water to boil for the noodles.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok.
- Add the red bell peppers and begin to sauté or stir fry.
- Add 1/2 the red onion and all of the eggplant cubes.
- Cook until the eggplant cubes are golden brown, stirring from time to time.
- Add the prepared spicy tofu pieces.
- Turn the heat low.
- Add the udon noodles to the boiling water and cook al dente.
- Slice and peel the mango. Slice the mango in long strips and some in bite sized pieces.
- Wash and chop the basil and coriander or cilantro.
- Add the sauce to the cooking eggplants.
- Add some of the coriander and basil leaves and stir well.
- Add most of the mango.
- Drain the udon noodles.
- Place a generous portion of udon noodles on each plate or bowl.
- Top with the eggplant mixture.
- Garnish with a couple of larger slices of mango, a few pieces of the minced red onion and more coriander leaves.