Asian Slaw Salad with Fava Beans, Cashews and Spicy Peanut Dressing
This was a great salad that tasted as great as it looked. Fava beans are very healthy. Although they take a bit of time to prepare, it is well worth the effort.
Serving Size: 4
for the salad:
- 2 cups kale, cleaned, large stems removed and chopped or shredded
- 2 cups red cabbage shredded
- 1-2 cups carrots, shredded or cut into matchstick slices
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup fava beans, blanched and skins removed
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1/2 cup cashew nut pieces
- handful coriander chopped, and some as optional garnish
for the dressing:
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup rice, white or fruit vinegar
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon tamari or light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- pinch powdered ginger
- pinch powdered garlic
- pinch salt
- dash Tabasco
to prepare the salad:
- The fava beans will take the longest time to prepare, so begin with them.
- Blanch the fava beans , and remove the skins.
- Clean the kale, remove the large stem and julienne or shred.
- Slice the red cabbage in thin slices. You can use a sharp knife, or a vegetable peeler.
- Peel the carrots and shred or cut into matchstick shapes.
- De-seed and cut the red bell pepper.
- Slice the spring onions on a diagonal, use all of the white parts, and the light green.
- Chop the coriander.
- Place all of the salad ingredients in a large salad bowl and lightly toss to mix.
to make the dressing:
- Place the peanut butter in a medium small bowl.
- Add the vinegar and oils and mix with a fork or small whisk.
- Add the tamari, ginger, garlic and maple syrup and mix to blend.
- Season to taste with salt and optionally with Tabasco
- Shortly before serving drizzle the dressing over the salad and toss to mix.
- Sprinkle the cashews on top and some coriander as optional garnish.
- Optionally you can put the dressing in a carafe and serve the salad without dressing and each can add the dressing as they wish.