Vegan Rhubarb Banana Crisp
It was slightly cool and rainy today, so this warm sweet crisp tasted great. Rhubarb and bananas pair well together. It’s a quick and easy crisp to make. You can use either fresh or frozen rhubarb.
Serving Size: 4
for the bottom layer:
- 5 cups rhubarb
- 3 bananas
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
for the streusel topping:
- 3/4 cup oats
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 cup sugar (we used 1/4 cup light brown sugar and 1/4 white)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch salt
- 1/3 cup non-dairy margarine
- Wash the rhubarb and cut away the leaves as they are poisonous.
- Slice the rhubarb is 1/4-1/2 inch chunks.
- Place the rhubarb in a bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix the 1/3 cup sugar and 2 tablespoons of flour.
- Pour this flour sugar mixture over the rhubarb and mix to evenly coat the rhubarb pieces.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400ºF (205ºC).
- Oil an oven proof baking dish or ramekins.
- Place the rhubarb mixture in the ramekins or baking dish and bake for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the streusel topping.
- Mix the oats, flour sugars, cinnamon and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl.
- Cut in the non-dairy margarine and mix until it is well blended and crumbly,
- Take the baking dishes out of the oven.
- Peel and cut the banana and evenly space on top of the cooked rhubarb pieces.
- Spread the streusel topping over evenly over the top of the bananas and return the dishes to the oven.
- Bake at 350ºF (177ºC) for 25 minutes longer.
- When the streusel is golden brown, remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly before serving.
- We served the crisp with coconut milk, sweetened with 1 tablespoon of powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract.