Traditional Cassava with Mojo Sauce
This is traditional Caribbean side dish that is very tasty. It’s served often in Puerto Rico and Cuba.
- 1½ pound of cassava root, peeled cut and half and in large chunks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 lime or lemon
- 3-4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons mild vinegar
- Place the cassava in a large pot cover it with water and add the salt and lime or lemon juice so that it does not discolor.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then turn the heat down and cook until the cassava is al dente 30 minutes or so.
- Meanwhile, chop the onion in small pieces.
- Mash and mince the garlic
- Heat the olive oil in a sauce pan, add the onions and sauté until glassy.
- Add the garlic and vinegar.
- Lightly add a pinch of salt and black pepper.
- Drain the cassava and place in a serving dish.
- Pour the mojo over the cassava.