Vegan Chuck Wagon Stew
This is a hearty, filling stew. The cinnamon adds a lovely flavor to the vegetables.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 cups dried large soy chunks (TVP, textured soy protein)
- 2 cups potatoes, chopped
- 2 cups carrots, chopped
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 28 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place the dry soy chunks in a medium bowl.
- Rehydrate the soy chunks with boiling water.
- Slice the onion.
- Peel and chop the potatoes.
- Peel and chop the carrots.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the onions and sauté until glassy.
- Add the carrot pieces and potatoes.
- Add the can of crushed tomatoes, and mix well.
- Add the paprika, chili powder, cinnamon, and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down the heat, place a lid on the pot and allow the vegetables to cook until soft (about 2 hours).
- After about 1 hour, check the amount of liquid, you may need to add some vegetable bouillon or water.
- Add the rehydrated soy chunks.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper or chili powder.