Turnip Green – Almond Pesto
We have recently discovered the wonderful advantages of enjoying turnip greens. Young turnip greens are delicious and have many great uses. Here we made a great pesto out of them. Which was used for on bruschetta at lunchtime and later for risotto at dinner. I understand it freezes well, but we never have enough left over to freeze.
Yield: 1 cup pesto
- 4 cups young turnip greens
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons almond meal 0r other nut meal
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons mustard
- salt and pepper
- Wash the turnip greens and remove the thick stem.
- Place in a food processor.
- Add the olive oil and lemon juice and pulse to puree.
- Add the nut meal, nutritional yeast, mustard and garlic.
- Again, pulse to puree.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
You can use basically any edible greens – spinach, dandelion, mustard greens, kale, chard, arugula – whatever you find tasty growing in the garden. Many “weeds “, even chick weed make a tasty pesto.