Vegan Orange Red Currant Poppy-Seed Bread
This is a delicious bread-or coffee-cake. It’s been a good year for currants and most fruits.
Serving Size: 8
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2/3 cup non-dairy margarine, melted
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 1 orange zested and juiced
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon orange extract (optional)
- 3 egg replacements (I use Orgran “No-Egg”)
- ½ cup non-dairy milk
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon poppy-seeds
- 1½ cup red currants, washed and removed from the stem
for the glaze:
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- Preheat the oven to 350ºF / 177ºC.
- Line a bread form or a spring form cake pan with baking parchment and spray with oil.
- Zest the orange
- Mix the orange zest with the sugar to make a lovely aromatic mixture.
- Create your egg replacements and add to the sugar,
- Beat to a light fluffy mixture.
- Mix the melted non-dairy margarine and non-dairy milk together to a uniform blend.
- Add the vanilla and orange extract to the milk mixture.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, salt, and cardamom.
- Add the poppy-seeds to the dry mixture and stir to mix.
- Fold the egg mixture alternating with the milk mixture into the dry ingredients and gently mix until moistened.
- If the mixture is too dry add a splash of orange juice.
- Gently fold in the red currants and spoon the batter into the prepared bread or cake tin.
- Place in the oven to bake for 60 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. It took my oven about 10 minutes longer, but each oven is different – start checking after around 55 minutes or so just to make sure.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a cooling rack for at least 1 hour before removing from the cake tin.
to make the glaze:
- Whisk the powdered sugar and orange juice in a small bowl.
- Drizzle over the cake allow to harden before serving.