Vegan Zucchini Rice Casserole
We enjoyed this tasty casserole last night and had some left overs for lunch today. It’s simple to make and very filling.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 cup brown rice
- 2 teaspoons oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock
- 4 cups zucchini, cut in small cubes
- 1-2 red bell peppers, de-seeded and cut in small cubes
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup soy yogurt
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup non-dairy cheese, shredded or diced
- 8 ounces tofu, cubed
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the brown rice and sauté until glassy.
- Add the 3 cups of vegetable stock (alternatively water with a vegetable bouillon cube..
- Cook the rice until the water has been absorbed and the rice is soft. while the rice is cooking, chop the zucchini, onion, bell pepper and tofu.
- Preheat the oven to 375ºF/190ºC.
- Spray oven proof casserole dishes with oil.
- When the rice is done, remove from the heat and place in a large bowl.
- Mix the sauce by placing the yogurt in a medium bowl.
- Add the nutritional yeas, dry mustard, flour, salt and pepper.
- Add the zucchini, onions bell pepper pieces, non-dairy cheese and tofu pieces to the rice and gently mix.
- Add the sauce and stir to mix well.
- Spoon the mixture into the casserole dish.
- We garnished with a few slices of zucchini and chopped bell pepper.
- Place in the oven to bake for 30-45 minutes.
- When the top of the casserole is lightly golden brown, remove from the oven.
You can also add some chopped basil or thyme as well as corn.