Golden Beet and Apple Soup
Golden beets are just coming available in the stores now. It has a lovely mild flavor that is useful in many recipes. We enjoyed this soup using seasonal apples.
Serving Size: 4
- 6 medium golden beets, washed
- 1-2 apples, cored and peeled
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons minced, peeled fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 cup apple juice
- 2 cups vegetable bouillon
- salt and white pepper to taste
- non-dairy yogurt, optional
- turnip crisps
- tarragon leaves
- Preheat the oven to 400°F / 204°C.
- Wash, top and peel the beets. By cutting the beets in pieces, it takes less time to bake.
- Cut the beets and place in an oven-proof baking dish that has a lid.
- Peel, core and cut the apples and add to the beets.
- Place the beets and apples in the oven to bake for 30-40 minutes.
- Chop the onion and mince the garlic.
- In a medium soup pot, heat the oil.
- Add the chopped onion and cook until glassy.
- Add the roasted beets and apples.
- Add the vegetable bouillon and apple juice.
- Add the garlic and ginger.
- Cook the soup until the beets are soft.
- Puree the soup.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Optionally if you want it ‘creamy’ add a dollop of non-dairy yogurt.
- We garnished the soup with turnip chips and a few tarragon leaves. The soup would be nice also with coriander, cilantro or parsley.