Brussels Sprouts, with Apples, Red Onions and Walnut Vinaigrette
This is really tasty. It can be a warm winter salad or holiday side dish. We enjoyed it as a lunchtime warm salad, but also plan to serve it as a holiday side dish.
Serving Size: 4
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 3 red onions thinly sliced
- 3-4 apples, sliced
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 cup walnut pieces, toasted
- ¼ cup white wine vinegar
- ¼ cup walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable bouillon
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Trim the Brussels sprouts and cut in half.
- Place in a steamer and steam until barley al dente.
- Slice the red onions thinly.
- Toast the walnut in a dry pan.
- Reserve a few walnuts as garnish, and place the rest in a blender or food processor.
- Add the vinegar, walnut oil and sesame oil.
- Pulse until pureed.
- Add the vegetable bouillon powder and onion powder.
- Pulse once again to make a smooth sauce.
- If the apples are organic, core and slice.
- If not organic, peel also.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the red onion slices.
- Once the red onions are soft, add the steamed Brussels sprouts.
- Lightly fry to brown parts of the Brussels sprouts.
- Add the sliced apples.
- When the apples have warmed, but are not over-cooked …remove the pan from the heat.
- Serve the dish as a side dish or a warm salad with the sauce drizzled on top.