Lentils and Mushrooms on Toast
2016 is the international year of pulses and we would like to eat a more healthy breakfast. This is a tasty meal. It makes a good vegan breakfast, nice winter lunch, a good snack or even a light supper.
Serving Size: 4
- 8 ounces mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 14 ounce can lentils, drained (about 1½ cups cooked lentils)
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoon smoky paprika powder
- pinch oregano
- pinch thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- 6-8 slices whole-grain bread, toasted
- as garnish parsley or cress sprouts, chopped
- Clean and slice the mushrooms.
- Prepare the onion and garlic.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan and sauté the onions.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until lightly browned.
- Add the oregano, thyme and garlic and mix well.
- Drain the lentils and add to the mushrooms.
- Stir to mix well.
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and paprika.
- Toast the bread.
- Sere the toast with the lentil mushroom mixture on top and garnish with chopped parsley or a few cress sprouts.