Mashed Potato, Sauerkraut Lentil Meal with TVP Medallions
This is a really delicious meal. It is great as a cold winter meal or early springtime super during the Easter holidays. Today the temperatures are up to 42 and we have a blue sky, so we are seeing signs of springtime and warmer weather. We have seedlings started inside and are looking forward to planting out the garden for this year’s crops and recipes.
Serving Size: 4
- 2 pounds floury potatoes (for mashed potatoes)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound (or one 14½ ounce can) sauerkraut, lightly drained
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 teaspoon smoky paprika powder
- 8 large TVP medallions, (enough for 4 people)
- 1 tablespoon tamari or soy sauce
- 14 ounces cooked lentils
- 2-3 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper to taste
- parsley as garnish, chopped
- Peel the potatoes, and cook in boiling water.
- Chop the onions, Slice the celery, Mince the garlic.
- Drain most of the liquid from the sauerkraut.
- Reconstitute the TVP medallions in boiling water with soy sauce or tamari.
- Prepare the lentils. Either by cooking 1 cup, or draining a 14&1/2 ounce can of lentils.
- Heat the oil in a large pot.
- Add the chopped onions and celery. Sauté until they have softened.
- Add the drained sauerkraut and lightly, fluff and stir to evenly mix.
- As the potatoes become cooked, drain off the water and mash.
- Add the mashed potatoes to the sauerkraut mixture and mix well.
- Add the nutritional yeast. and season to taste with the smoky paprika, salt and pepper.
- Grill or fry the TVP medallions and place on a skewer.
- Add the lentils to the mashed potato sauerkraut mixture.
- Serve the mashed potato, sauerkraut, lentil mixture with a skewer of TVP medallions on top.
- Garnish with a few chopped parsley pieces.